Most of this is taken from Wikia.
Thumbs Up: What to do!Edit
Jump right in!Edit
- Don't be afraid to get started. Anyone is free to edit a wiki, so simply click edit and get started!
Collaboration is keyEdit
- Wikis are based on the idea that the crowd, collectively, has a greater sum of knowledge than just one individual. That means collaborating with others is the key to creating a successful wiki. Collaboration means you work together to build, design and make decisions on a wiki. No one person owns or rules a wiki. Rather, it is built, supported and owned by all participating community members.
Practice open-mindedness & assume good faithEdit
- Since wikis are open to edit by anyone, users of all skill levels and opinions are welcome to participate. We assume that most people who work on a wiki are trying to help it, not hurt it. If this weren't true, a wiki project would be doomed from the beginning. If you think there is a problem, it's best to ask the user about the issue first, then take any additional steps if need be.
- Being friendly and nice goes a long way, no matter where you are. Say hello to others, provide help where you can, and ask others if you need assistance. Simply being nice can greatly impact the growth and success of a wiki community.
Welcome new usersEdit
- Everyone has to start somewhere, so if you meet a new user who by accident made an improper edit, be nice! It's better to help explain what they did wrong, so they can learn from you, than to leave them a mean message. Remember back to when you were new, and how far friendly advice can go.
Spread the word!Edit
- A community is only as strong as all of its members. The more it has, the stronger (and more successful), it will become. So invite your friends, family, schoolmates, and others who may be interested. Spread the word on Facebook, Twitter, forums, blogs on the same topic, or any place where people who are interested may hang out.
Ask for helpEdit
Thumbs Down: What not to do!Edit
Don't plagiarize contentEdit
- If you are confused or need help, just ask! There is a lot of help all around you on Wikia, including our help pages,forum, local admins and staff. No question is too small!
- If you are bringing content to Wikia or taking it from here (or to another wiki), please remember to cite the authors properly. Don't assume that everything on the Internet is open for the taking. Make sure you have permission to use something before you copy it, and follow the rules for attribution when you do reuse. Everyone likes credit for their hard work!
- Wikis are a great place to build content on a specific topic, not a place to spam links to your latest product or to post non-relevant material. Spam will be removed, so please don't add it to begin with.
Don't feed the trollsEdit
- This means that every time you respond to those who try to ruin your wiki, you are giving them what they want. The more you do that, the more they will be back for more. It's best to be calm, and limit contact with vandals. The less attention they get, the more likely they are to move on. Don't play games with the vandals as this makes it more fun for them.
Don't make personal attacksEdit
Don't bring fights from other sites to WikiaEdit
Always remember online communities still involve real peopleEdit
- If you are having a disagreement somewhere else online, bringing it to Wikia will not help. Please keep the drama wherever it started.